Sunday, November 2, 2014

You're going to wake up and be...

A very wise woman once told me, "you're going to wake up and be 30 and then you're going to wake up and be 35". Well I didn't wake up until I was almost 36! I have no regrets in my life, or at least I try not to, but waking up and realizing I have let these years slip through my fingers has left a lasting impression on me...along with a few other life changing events. Don't be me...don't let some of the best years of your life slip away. Know that there are a lot of people out there like you and me, so you're not alone!!!

Step 1 - Give yourself a break!!! No one is perfect!!! And believe me when I say this is difficult to admit (being a perfectionist) and even harder to do day in day out. However, give yourself a little compassion when something doesn't go the way you want it go. Instead of saying "you're such a loser for not finishing the list of errands", say "I realize the list of errands was long and it's okay that I didn't get everything finished this weekend. I can pick it up next week/weekend." What would you say to a dear friend? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be critical and you would show that friend compassion. Why not do the same for yourself???

Step 2 - Realize that you're NOT alone!!! Everyone suffers at different points in their own life and the same struggles they have may very well be the same ones we experience.

Step 3 - Be mindful of your suffering! Meaning that if you are suffering, acknowledge it and then see/complete steps 1 and 2. Don't ignore and don't exaggerate what you are experiencing. Also, don't lash out at the ones you love!!! This will get you know where and eventually you and your love ones will be frustrated.

These three steps all need to be combined in order to be compassionate towards yourself (self-compassion). I'm not going to say it's easy and I'm certainly not going to say that I'm able to do this every day. We all have bad days and guess what??? It's okay to have a bad day! I promise!!!

I accept and love myself as I am!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment